MATBUS COVID-19 Response
Last updated: June 12, 2020
MATBUS is committed to the health and safety of our passengers and staff. We are monitoring COVID-19 pandemic conditions with constant communication from local, state and federal officials. Check this page for updates before you ride.
Current MATBUS Service
- Fare collection is suspended until further notice. This includes Fixed Route and MAT Paratransit. We will provide at least two weeks’ notice before resuming fare collection.
- There is no reduction in service. All routes are running as normal, except those that have temporarily added extra trips. See the Route 4 and Route 15 pages for their extended timetables.
Routes 4 and 15 will return to their normal schedules (without extra buses) effective Wednesday, July 1, 2020.
- The temporary downtown hub (located at 401 3rd Ave N in Fargo) is closed to the public.
How You Can Help
- Please limit your trips when possible, to avoid over-crowding and maintain social distancing.
- Leave extra room between yourself and others, both on the bus and at the bus stop.
- Whenever possible, wear a face mask or other type of covering over your nose and mouth.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow.
- Stay home if you are sick.
In order to keep this service safe for all users, we ask riders to avoid loitering or congregating at the downtown hub. We must also remind our riders not to joy ride. According to MATBUS policy, “Joy riding, which is defined as riding the bus for one full trip without deboarding, is not allowed. MATBUS staff will question passengers who do not deboard within one trip and assist them, if needed, in determining the route needed to reach their final destination.”
Steps We're Taking
- Drivers are provided with cloth face masks, face shields, goggles, gloves and hand sanitizer.
- Face masks are required for drivers when they are assisting MAT Paratransit passengers.
- Fare collection was suspended on March 23, 2020, which allows us to keep the downtown hub closed to the public and use rear-door boarding.
- The temporary downtown hub at 401 3rd Ave N in Fargo is closed to the public.
- Passengers are asked to use the rear door as much as possible. The front door is still available to those who need it for the ramp or bus kneeling feature.
- Plexiglass barriers were installed on all fixed route buses. These help separate the driver from passengers. They are also moveable to protect the driver during front-door boardings.
- Buses are sanitized frequently throughout the day, in addition to the standard cleaning and sanitizing they receive at night.
- Additional buses have been added to routes with high ridership, to help passengers distance from each other.
- When possible, MAT Paratransit is scheduling only one passenger on the vehicle at a time.
For a chronological list of actions we’ve taken, visit our COVID-19 Updates page.